Sunday, August 9, 2009

MOUNT KINABALU


The preparations are done and the necessary items are already purchased. I am now ready to go to Kota Kinabalu.

My flight to BKK is on Air Asia on Tuesday, Aug 11, 9.30am. I have decided that I'm going to be at the airport early so that I can have my breakfast there.

Talking about the necessary items, I did my last minute shopping yesterday for glove, thermal suit and thermal socks. I refer to articles in the net on the items to carry for the trip.

Timpohan Gate to Laban Rata
It's a day climb, the weather condition is warm and sunny. Lightweight clothing like t-shirt and short are sufficient.

Other than that, I will also bring:
1. cap
2. raincoat
3. good hiking shoes. Yup, I learned my lesson in Angsi
4. rubber slippers
5. sunblock cream... tak payah kut.. let it be lah...
6. face towel
7. 1 liter of water/isotonic drink
8. wet tissue, just in case...
9. snack - energy bar and Oral Rehydration Salt (ORS), over lah pulak!
10. plastic bags
11. walking stick
12. not to forget toothbrush and toothpaste

Laban Rata to Low's Peak
It's a night climb, the weather is usually cold and windy and at the peak the temperature can drop below 5 degree Celsius. So, warm clothing are necessary:
1. head light
2. glove
3. thermal suit
4. wind breaker or jacket
5. long sleeve t-shirt
6. thick trousers/cargo pants
7. thermal socks
8. ski mask
9. raincoat
10. snacks and water/isotonic drink

Other than the above, camera with newly charged batteries is necessary, not to forget my knee supports! As for medicines, I have already got my gastritis pills, paracetamol, piriton and pills for diarrhoea and stomach pain.

Yup! This is my checklist and I am going to print it!

Everything is in order and I am very excited! Been wanting to do this and never got the chance all the while. There have always been hurdles, most of the times, I got no friend to join me. For that, I thank you my office mates for joining me there and planning this trip together.

6 comments:

Sharif John said...

YEEEHHHAA!!!! All the best bro... be careful and enjoy the trip.... make sure to take the picture

Small Hiker said...

yes bro... i will take lots and lots of pictures... thank you.

::: ReActivate ::: said...

::: well bro g'luck, do your best
::: i know u can do it.. so many
::: training & mountain climbing
::: mesti boleh punyer.. beside I
::: heard that mount kinabalu quite
::: easy that gunung ledang! tak
::: tahu laa, kadang2 kita yg lom
::: daki ni atau baru nak daki,
::: tak elok cakap besar.. maybe
::: the tracks are not physically
::: challenging.. sbb dah ada trek
::: yg mudah & selesa.. whatever it
::: is, climbing mount kinabalu,
::: the highest mountain in SEA mmg
::: sgt2 membanggakan.. its a
::: dream for every climber in
::: m'sia.. selamat berjaya bro,
::: & most important, enjoy!!!

::: [re]: maxis bb tuh oklaa.. the
::: reason saya beli sbb masa tuh
::: saya baru pindah, streamyx tak
::: ada area baru.. plus saya guna
::: line h/p maxis, bil sekali je..
::: tapi sbb saya ni internet
::: heavyuser, maxis bb ada limit
::: usage, size 3MB per month..
::: bila terlebih guna, automatik
::: transfer rate jadi slow.. &
::: up & d/load pon slow.. until
::: next month, back to normal..
::: so skrg saya re-register
::: streamyx & im using both ikut
::: keadaan & tmpt.. for me maxis
::: or celcom is just the same..
::: depends on area & pengguna.
::: di opis, maxis better; di rumah
::: saya JB, celcom better..

Small Hiker said...

ReActivate: thank you. Macam mana pun saya tak nak underestimate Gunung Kinabalu... thin oxygen and cold weather... i hope i will summit and come down safely. Insyaallah...

kahliab said...

I will be climbing from 24 -27 July 2010. Bro, I found your posting interesting and helps in my preparations. Doa for me.

Small Hiker said...

Kahliab, best of luck! With preparations, I am sure you will reach the summit. My doa with you!