Saturday, October 25, 2008

EXERCISE

I exercise regularly. I go to the gym in the morning 3 times a week. The gym is located at the first floor of our office building. There are not that many people there in the gym. Most of the times, I am alone there. Occasionally, there would be 1 or 2 more of my colleagues there. I exercise regularly due to health problem. I got hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol). The level was very high, 10 at one time. Now, I am on statin drugs and blood thinning drugs. People would think that I am fat. No definitely not. I am far from being fat. My height is 1.73m and weight is 72kg. Very much in my ideal weight. Right now, my cholesterol level is within the right level of 5.5.

I have been exercising regularly for more than 4 years now. I go to the gym during Ramadan too. Albeit much subdued routines. In the weekend, I'd vary my exercise, I'd either play badminton, go for swimming or jogging.

Today, it's Saturday. I am going for swimming afterward. As usual, I'd do 20 laps or 1,000 meters. I'd normally do breaststroke, so it'd take me about 40 minutes to do it.

And I am also planning to check the badminton court somewhere nearby as an alternative to the usual place that I go to in Puchong. I'd go there after the badminton game.

Below is an article that I extracted from thestar.com.my on exercise:

Health Minister Datuk Liow Tiong Lai said the Government’s many promotions to get people to lead a healthy lifestyle, has not worked.

“Nearly half or 43.1% of the adult population are overweight and this is a serious problem,” he said, adding that leading a sedentary lifestyle could pose serious health problems. Liow added, “one in every three adult Malaysians suffers from hypertension while one in five has high blood cholesterol levels.” People suffering from heart diseases have also increased by 18% from 37,284 in 2003 to 44,2001 in 2006, while deaths from coronary heart disease increased by 36% from 2,697 to 3,673 for the corresponding period, he said.

“Although we obtained these statistics from a survey done two years ago, the number of Malaysians suffering such ailments must have increased,” said Liow.

He called on Malaysians to exercise at least 30 minutes a day.

No comments: